XAOC Ballet Presents: Choreography Up Close, Volume II
XAOC Contemporary Ballet
Choreography Up Close: Volume II
April 7, 2019 @ 7pm
NY City Center Studios
Seven original ballets.
Eleven incredible dancers.
Inches from your seat.
XAOC Contemporary Ballet presents its third full evening of work on April 7, 2019 at 7pm at the NY City Center Studios. Get up close and personal with the dancers as they perform for you in one of New York City's most beautiful studios. Hear discussion on the processes behind the choreography and get an inside scoop on creating ballet for freelance artists in a changing cultural climate.
Ms. Young founded the XAOC Contemporary Ballet in 2010 at the age of 19 to create a place for new ballets to be made and performed by women on the chamber scale, and celebrates nine years of creative classical innovation. She is currently receiving choreographic mentorship by Lauren Lovette, Principal Dancer and Choreographer with New York City Ballet, arranged through the Jacob’s Pillow Ann and Weston Hicks Choreographic Fellowship, of which Ms. Young was selected as an inaugural Choreography Fellow in 2018.
The program includes:
- The third movement of Symphonie Miroir, commissioned in 2014 by the Eryc Taylor Dance New Choreographers Grant
- Six Memos, inspired by the writings of Italo Calvino with music by Raymond Enoksen.
- Allagi (The Consistency of Change), a winner of Edward Villella’s 2015 Choreographers Competition with music by Kevin Keller.
- Terrextra, created in residency at the University of North Carolina School of the Arts and Jacob’s Pillow
- Land Earth Sea Cloud Sky, commissioned by Norte Maar in 2018 and created in collaboration with visual artist Jeri Coppola
- Violin Variation in D, created in 2018 to music by Felix Mendelssohn
- Voyager I, company premiere, commissioned in 2018 by the Columbia Ballet Collaborative and premiered alongside works by Silas Farley (NYCB) and Zhongjing Fang (ABT)
- Special performance of Schubert’s Fantasie in F minor by pianists Olga Bazilevskaya and Miho Nozawa
Dancers: Kathleen Bollana, Gahee Chung, Jacline Henrichs, Allegra Kirksey-Curtis, Marika Kossakowski, Misa Mochizuki, Tailys Poncione, Danielle Rutherford, Mackenzie Schiller, Michelle Thompson Ulerich, Fernanda Yamaguchi
Discussion and wine reception to follow.
Share Your Audience Review. Your Words Are Valuable to Dance.
Are you going to see this show, or have you seen it? Share "your" review here on The Dance Enthusiast. Your words are valuable. They help artists, educate audiences, and support the dance field in general. There is no need to be a professional critic. Just click through to our Audience Review Section and you will have the option to write free-form, or answer our helpful Enthusiast Review Questionnaire, or if you feel creative, even write a haiku review. So join the conversation.