The Dance Enthusiast Asks Ron Honsa, the Director of "Never Stand Still" About his Movie, his thoughts on Dancers, and Jacobs Pillow
Ron Honsa Plays 20 Questions with The Dance Enthusiast and our "Mercian" Questionnaire
(The Dance Enthusiast puts questions on paper, places them in our desk drawer, or a hat, then we close our eyes, and choose 20
allowing chance into the interview procedure in honor of Merce Cunningham and John Cage)
Ron Honsa, as a young filmmaker in New York City, was hired to film Lar Lubovitch's Company at Jacob's Pillow in the early 1980's. Says Honsa, "I was struck by the beauty and intelligence of the work taking place at this secluded dance festival."After meeting Burton Mumaw, one of Jacobs Pillows' earliest pioneers, and former member of Ted Shawn's Company, he made the award winning film, The Men Who Danced- the story of Ted Shawn and the first all-male dance company in America.
(the above material is excerpted from Ron Honsa's Directors Statement for Never Stand Still.)
The Dance Enthusiast Asks Ron Honsa, Director of Never Stand Still
|Director,Ron Honsa In an Interview with Merce Cunningham, Photo Courtesy of The Director|
1. I am a film-maker because...
It is what I know how to do
2. If I weren't a film maker I would be...
A farmer in Maine
3. I am inspired by...
4. I could do without...
5. My favorite part of this project was...
Being around dancers and world renowned choreographers
6. Opening night of my movie is...
Its NYC release is at the Quad Cinema on Friday, May 18th, 2012
7. The Movie is called Never Stand Still...
Because dance is always evolving.
8.What surprised or delighted you while in the process of creating Never Stand Still?
The generosity of all the dancers and people who supported this film
9. My favorite time at Jacob's Pillow was...
Seeing the film being screened for the first time at the Ted Shawn Theatre where we filmed many of the performances.
10. Do you dance? If so what is your favorite kind of dancing?
I am not a dancer but I was taught to film dance by dancers.
11. Do you prefer to be behind the screen or would you like to be in front of it?
I like to be in control, so behind the camera works for me
12. What Words Best Describe These Artists?
|The Erica Essner Performance Co-Op as seen in Never Stand Still ;Photo by Christopher Duggan|
Bill T. Jones
13. I am a dance enthusiast because...
I respect how talented and hard it is to be a dancer
14. Jacobs Pillow is...
15. What did you learn during this project?
The importance of community for artists
16. Why should non-dancers see your film?
Because it is a unique and accessible window into an art form
17. Why should dancers see your film?
Because it is an homage to them and their art form
18. My favorite thing to do in the world other than make films is...
|Kellye Saunders of the Collage Dance Collective performing Dying Swan as seen in Never Stand Still a
film by Ron Honsa. A First Run Features Release,- Photo by Christopher Duggan
Dig in my garden
19. After the opening of this movie I am going to...
Continue working on my next project
20. I am enthusiastic about...
Being able to film artists and the performing arts