ChristinaNoel & The Creature seeking: Contemporary Dancers with Vocal Abilities (DEADLINE: Sep 1)
ChristinaNoel & The Creature
ChristinaNoel & The Creature seeks artists for their upcoming ’21–’22 season (September through May).
The Creature, led by Artistic Director ChristinaNoel Reaves, is a Brooklyn-based experimental dance theater company producing immersive performance pieces. Comprised of dancers, musicians, and visual artists, the hybrid performance medium utilizes the dancers’ voices, bodies, and individual perspectives of the world.
- Monthly stipends and competitive performance pay
- 5 to 6 hours of rehearsal each week, both indoor and outdoor. Rehearsals most likely Monday evenings 6:30–9:30 and Saturday evenings (4–7pm).
- Rehearsal and performance commitment through May season, which includes: one week in an NYC theater (pending Covid restrictions), multiple smaller performances throughout the Fall and Spring, and potential to stay on
ChristinaNoel is looking for highly technical dancers (trained in classical and contemporary forms) with the ability to sing and with experience in partnering and contact improvisation. Your ability to be vulnerable as an actor will be highly utilized. Rehearsals typically include: vocal warmup, rhythm music exercises, improv skits, acting work, and rehearsing and generating highly physical material--a large amount of material is co-created and developed from improvisation.
You must also have interest in working and performing with kids. ChristinaNoel leads a youth company, The Ephyras, whose dancers range in age 3–14, and (in addition to The Creature's self-produced concerts), Creature artists perform in their shows and teach some of their classes. We seek artistic leaders who value the creative experience of contemporary dance theatre being brought to children.
*Due to Creature staff with immune-compromised systems, all auditionees must be vaccinated*
SAT 9/11, 4–7pm
Callbacks MON 9/13 , 6–9pm (Potential extended callbacks SAT 9/18)
The Workshop Middle School
1100 Washington Ave
Brooklyn, NY 11225
1) Send a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
2) Attach a photo of proof of vaccination
3) In the body of your email:
- tell us your name
- answer: if you were any kind of creature, what would you be? (And be honest: we all want to say we'd be dragons, but if you are a platypus at heart, we want to know)
- include a video link of you dancing (reel or strong performance with cue points in your email) and a video of you singing. Links only, attachments will not be watched. Please send videos of one minute or less OR give us a cue point.
Deadline to apply: WED 9/1
Selected artists will be notified by email by TUE 9/7
*If selected, please prepare something you can sing a cappella at the audition. It can be an opera aria, a folk song, the Reading Rainbow theme--something that makes you feel like yourself. You will be required to sing alone--both as a solo and while moving.
Above all, ChristinaNoel is most interested in artists who are strong individuals and strong individual performers.
- $10/hr for rehearsals
- $30–$40 for mentoring and lead teaching of youth ensemble
- $50–$100 performance stipend.
- Voice training with ChristinaNoel and individual photo shoots with Creature photographer Aeric Meredith-Goujon