The Ailey Extension Offers Exciting Spring Workshops
The Ailey Extension
Add Some Spring to Your Step at The Ailey Extension
Horton Master Class with Ailey II Artistic Director Troy Powell on March 22nd in Advance of Ailey II’s New York Season
Contemporary Jazz Workshop with Ailey Dancer Sean Aaron Carmon on March 24th
World Dance Celebration Workshops Begin the Week of April 17th
This spring, The Ailey Extension offers unique opportunities for students to blossom. On Tuesday, March 22nd, Ailey II Artistic Director Troy Powell will lead a special Horton Workshop; on Thursday, March 24th, Ailey dancer Sean Aaron Carmon steps from the stage to the studio to teach a Contemporary Jazz Workshop; and World Dance Celebration workshops in seven different techniques kick off the week of April 17th.
A week in advance of Ailey II’s season at the Ailey Citigroup Theater, Artistic Director Troy Powell will lead a dynamic Horton Master Class on Tuesday, March 22nd at 6:30pm. This class will focus on the foundational elements of Horton technique, with emphasis on musicality and movement quality. Powell danced with Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater for a decade, and continues to travel the world with Ailey II. This master class is an exciting opportunity to study with the renowned teacher and choreographer at his home studio.
On Thursday, March 24th at 7pm, Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater’s Sean Aaron Carmon steps from the stage to the studio to teach a Contemporary Jazz Workshop between stops on the Company’s 20-city coast-to-coast tour. Carmon, who is entering his fifth year with Ailey, will combine elements of Horton and Graham-based modern techniques with classic jazz in this dynamic workshop for students of all levels.
Beginning the week of April 17th, The Ailey Extension’s annual World Dance Celebration returns. Students of all levels are invited to participate in the workshops which explore movement styles from around the world, and culminate in performances at The Ailey Citigroup Theater on Saturday, June 11th and Sunday, June 12th. Workshops will be offered in the following techniques:
- Samba/Afro-Brazilian with Quenia Ribieiro: Sunday, April 17th – June 5th, 6pm: This workshop incorporates Afro-Brazilian dance moves with the rhythms of Brazilian Samba.
- West African with Vado Diomande: Sundays, April 17th – June 5th, 4:30pm: Performer and teacher Vado Diomande leads this workshop, bringing together mind, body, and spirit in an energetic union of the music, dance and oral tradition of West Africa.
- Sabar with Babacar M’Baye: Mondays, April 18th – June 9th, 8pm: Originating from Senegal, this high energy dance style incorporates full body movement, including jumps and twists.
- Afro-Cuban with Noibis Licea: Thursdays, April 21st – June 9th, 8pm: Participants will learn a unique blend of African and Cuban traditional styles, set to live drumming.
- SharQui Bellydance with Sharon Zaslaw: Fridays, April 22nd – June 10th, 8pm: A structured approach to bellydance that will have students shimmying and shaking.
- West African with Maguette Camara: Fridays, April 22nd – June 10th, 8pm: Renowned instructor Maguette Camara leads this workshop, which brings together mind, body, and spirit in an energetic union of the music, dance and oral tradition of West Africa.
- Masala Bhangra with Sarina Jain: Wednesdays, May 4th – June 8th, Thursday, June 9th, Friday June 10th, 7:30pm
In addition to these exciting workshops, The Ailey Extension offers over 80 classes per week in 25 different dance and fitness techniques. Students of all levels have the opportunity to take classes in all of the techniques listed above, in addition to hip-hop, Salsa, yoga, ballet, jazz, tap, Zumba, and more.
For the complete Ailey Extension schedule or to register, visit www.aileyextension.com.
SPRING WORKSHOP HIGHLIGHTS
Horton Master Class with Troy Powell
Tuesday, March 22nd at 6:30pm / $35 ($30 before March 18th)
Contemporary Jazz Workshop with Sean Carmon
Thursday, March 24th at 7:00pm / $30
World Dance Celebration Workshops
Samba/Afro-Brazilian with Quenia Ribieiro
Sunday, April 17th – June 5th at 6:00pm
West African with Vado Diomande
Sundays, April 17th – June 5th at 4:30pm
Afro-Cuban with Noibis Licea
Thursdays, April 21st – June 9th at 8:00pm
SharQui Bellydance with Sharon Zaslaw
Fridays, April 22nd – June 10th at 8:00pm
West African with Maguette Camara
Fridays, April 22nd – June 10th at 8:00pm
Masala Bhangra with Sarina Jain
Wednesdays, May 4th – June 8th, Thursday, June 9th & Friday June 10th at 7:30pm
All World Dance Celebration workshops are $225
AAADT’s Sean Aaron on Muizenberg Beach in Cape Town. Photo by Andrew Eccles.