A.I.M by Kyle Abraham seeks Director of Development (DoD)
A.I.M by Kyle Abraham
A.I.M by Kyle Abraham seeks an experienced, creative, and strategic Director of Development to join its growing staff. The Director of Development (DoD) is a strategic and experienced fundraising professional, responsible for moving A.I.M’s fundraising practices to the next level by developing and leading a dynamic and measurable approach to contributed revenue, and special events that are authentic to A.I.M’s culture and mission. The DoD will work to raise considerable funds to support operations, long-range institutional growth, and programming activities. As the company is in a significant period of growth, this position will play an integral role in the company’s continued success and progression.
The Director reports to the Executive Director, supervises and mentors the Development Manager, and collaborates closely with the Artistic Director, Finance Manager, the Communications and Marketing team, and the Board of Directors.
About the Company
Founded in 2006 by award-winning choreographer Kyle Abraham, A.I.M by Kyle Abraham is a Black-led contemporary dance company that provides multifaceted performances, educational programming, and community-based workshops. The mission of A.I.M by Kyle Abraham is to create a body of dance-based work that is galvanized by Black culture and history. The work, informed by and made in conjunction with artists across a range of disciplines, entwines a sensual and provocative vocabulary with a strong emphasis on music, text, video, and visual art. While grounded in choreographer Kyle Abraham’s artistic vision, A.I.M draws inspiration from a multitude of sources and movement styles. For more information, please visit aimbykyleabraham.org.
A.I.M provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment. A.I.M prohibits discrimination and harassment based on gender, race, national origin, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, citizenship status, disability, veteran status, or marital/partnership status.
A.I.M values a diverse workplace and strongly encourages applications from ALL qualified candidates.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Create and manage a holistic and strategic annual development plan/calendar targeting foundations, government agencies, corporations, and major donors
- Support and advise the Executive Director, board members, and other volunteers on all major fundraising initiatives
- Utilize clearly defined goals, objectives, and methods with which to measure success
- Develop a robust and measurable program for the identification, cultivation, solicitation, stewardship, and recognition of major donors
- Diversify and expand donor base through clear strategy and execution; laying the groundwork for a new generation of supporters
- Support Development Manager’s planning and execution of giving campaigns
- Raise new and restored support, growing the contributed income each year and strengthening/sustaining contributed revenue of A.I.M’s current operating budget
- Oversee the development and execution of all proposals and reports, and manage long-term relationships with private, corporate, and government funders
- Position A.I.M’s strategic priorities with a targeted list of corporations and direct the development of proposals
Special Events and Board of Directors
- Collaborate with the Board to lead and plan the annual Homecoming gala, at least two cultivation events, and facilitate smaller fundraising opportunities as required to meet financial goals
- Partner with the Executive Director and the Board to guide donor expansion
- 5+ years of previous development and fundraising experience required in addition to a well-rounded understanding of nonprofit community
- Proven track record in securing major gifts from individual donors
- Knowledge of best practices in fundraising and a commitment to learning
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to engage a wide range of donors and build long-term relationships
- Demonstrated strategic thinking, diplomacy, and innovative approaches to problem solving
- Ability to work independently and effectively on several projects at once while meeting all deadlines as required
- Highly motivated, organized and detail-oriented
- A true passion for dance and art
To apply, please email a cover letter, resume, and at least three references to firstname.lastname@example.org and include “Director of Development” in the subject line.
All applications and expressed interest in this position will be handled confidentially. No phone calls please.
Location: New York, NY
Reports to: Executive Director
Status: Full-time, Exempt
Salary: $85,000 - $100,000 commensurate with experience; comprehensive benefits
Application Deadline: Open until filled; applications received by August 27 will be prioritized Ideal Start Date: on or before September 27, 2021