Apply for Movement Research at the Judson Church
Movement Research at the Judson Church is a high visibility, low-tech forum on Monday nights throughout the fall/winter and spring seasons. Movement Research at the Judson Church supports experiments in performance rather than finished products. Artists are selected by a selection committee of peer artists. Work shown in this series must not exceed a maximum of 15 minutes.
Spring 2015 Season:
Application deadline: September 30 2014 at 11:59pm EST
Application: Spring 2015 Application
Season dates: February 16, 2015 - June 2015
Basic tech info/specs:
There is only standard (non-theatrical) lighting and a sound system that plays cassette tapes CDs, and mp3 players. No other technical equipment will be available for use unless you provide and operate that equipment independently. The dance floor dimensions are 46’7” wide by 49’5” deep. This measurement does not include the altar, audience, or back of house.
Please note: Anyone selected to show work on the Fall 2014 Season (September 2014-February 9, 2015) is ineligible to apply this round.
Be prepared to provide the following information when submitting your online application. You may not save applications in progress. Once applications are submitted they cannot be edited. Movement Research will accept only one application per artist or artist collective/collaboration.
1. Contact Information
2. Project Description (500 words max.) that briefly and clearly elaborates the ideas/process you will be investigating.
3. Artist bio (250 words max.)
4. 1 Work Sample that best represents your artistic process. Your sample need NOT be of the work you are proposing for Judson. It may be a performance sample or a sample of ideas in progress (rehearsal footage of new research).
• Work Sample videos MUST be provided through an online link to a URL, either youtube, vimeo or other. Vimeo is preferred.
• Work Sample must show contiguous footage of a work or rehearsal. Do not send excerpts or videos that have been clip edited.
• Include one cue point to a representative 3 minute section of the Work Sample.
• Work Sample should contain the full work or as much additional footage as is available should the Selection Committee want to watch more than the 3 minute cue point segment.
•Be aware that, due to the volume of applicants, we cannot guarantee that the committee will watch more than 3 minutes of your sample. Please choose your cue point appropriately.
• DO NOT SEND PROMO VIDEOS OR VIDEOS THAT CONTAIN NON-CONTIGUOUS CLIP EDITED FOOTAGE. ALL EDITED PROMO VIDEOS OR VIDEOS WITH A SAMPLING OF CLIPS WILL NOT BE REVIEWED BY THE SELECTION COMMITTEE. .
5. Work Sample Description (75 words max.) that explains what stage of your project this work sample represents, or if it is of another project, explain how it relates to your current proposal.
Criteria for selection and context:
Movement Research (MR) continues to serve as a creative laboratory and incubator for emerging artists and ideas. The Movement Research at the Judson Church series is one of a number of MR programs intended to foster rigorous and wide-ranging artistic investigations and nurture experimentation in movement-based forms. An ongoing, free, high-visibility low-tech forum in front of a live audience, this series attracts diverse intergenerational artists at all stages of their creative development and audiences from the dance community and general public. Because MR supports creative process, not final product, the Movement Research at the Judson Church series is for exploration of ideas, not a venue for finished work on a season's presentation. Proposals are reviewed by a rotating committee of artists.
(Photograph: Ian Douglas)