Intern for Awaken Dance Theater
Awaken Dance Theater
Photo: Eric Bandiero
Awaken Dance Theater is a company that aims to make bold statements on social and political issues through dance. Our work includes pieces about the intersection of racism and interracial relationships, gun violence and the need for gun control reform in the US, and climate change.
We are currently seeking several enthusiastic, hard-working and detail-oriented interns to assist with a variety of projects in our growing company. Interns will gain insight into the workings of an arts organization, and build experience with social media, film and video editing, marketing, grant-writing, fundraising, event planning, etc. As a newer and rapidly growing company, you will be given a lot of responsibility quickly and be a vital part of our team.
Interns will assist the Artistic Director as the company prepares for multiple performances and showcases during the upcoming season. Interns will learn about and assist with the following:
- Grant research, writing, and submission.
- Outreach to potential donors.
- Research and applications for showcases and performance opportunities.
- Individual fundraising campaigns, such as the use of Kickstarter, RocketHub, solicitation letters, and thank-you notes.
- Updating the company website.
- Work on developing a marketing plan, and assist with designing flyers, the company logo, etc.
- Database management.
- Create and send mass emails to email lists about upcoming performances, events, etc.
- Post select photos, videos, and other updates on multiple social media sites.
- Develop a plan to attract more followers and feedback on social media sites including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Keeping up-to-date calendar for company, including members availability for specific events and performances, deadlines for grant or performance applications, payment deadlines, etc.
- Must be able to work 10-15 hours a week.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Reliable, hardworking, and organized.
- Experience with photography and film a plus.
- Grant-writing or fundraising experience a plus.
- Ability to commit for a minimum of 6 months.
- Interest in dance, the arts, and/or activism regarding political and social issues.
All internships are unpaid, but college credit may be available. You will also receive tickets to all Awaken Dance Theater performances. If fundraising and/or grant applications you complete are very successful, a monetary stipend may be possible.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to:
For more information about Awaken Dance Theater, please visit: