Mare Nostrum Elements' Emerging Choreographer Series #10 Provides Paid Opportunity to NYC Choreographers
Mare Nostrum Elements
CHOREOGRAPHERS NEEDED FOR ECS 2023 (ECS #10)
Mare Nostrum Elements (MNE) is seeking choreographers for the 2023 edition of the EMERGING CHOREOGRAPHER SERIES (ECS #10) presented in partnership with LaGuardia Performing Arts Center-CUNY in Long Island City, Queens.
ECS is an intensive crash-course in self-producing; offering rehearsal space, compensation, career development consultations, and professional mentorship to selected choreographers. During the course of the program, choreographers will create, develop, and premiere a new work at CUNY’s LaGuardia Performing Arts Center (LPAC) in Long Island City. The program is totally free of charge—no application fees, no production fees, and no rental costs will be charged to the applicants or selected choreographers.
MNE ECS is committed to equity, diversity, inclusion, and accessibility. Choreographers of all styles, genres, training, and method are encouraged to apply. We support works of all dance genres including but not limited to contemporary, dance-theater, experimental, ballet, modern, folk, hip-hop, tap, flamenco, percussive, traditional, and fusion. BIPOC, LGBTQIA+, people of all faiths, race, ethnicity, age, ability, sex, and gender are encouraged to apply. As an organization we are constantly learning and growing in the ways we can operationalize equity and accessibility into our program design and work.
- Choreographer Compensation: $1000
- Dancers Compensation: $15-per-hour for rehearsals (45 hrs max) + $250 for tech, dress, and performances.
- TWO fully produced performances in the Little Theater at LPAC (220 Seats)*.
- Mid-term work-in-progress feedback from a panel of established choreographers.
- Up to 12 development and production consultations with industry professionals.
- Weekly meetings for brainstorming and feedback sessions with peers.
- Guidance, marketing, and logistical help throughout the process.
- Up to FIVE high-resolution photos of the final performance.
- Unedited professional wide-angle, one-shot video of the performance.
- One-on-one mentoring with an experienced industry professional.
The total value of the program (stipends and services) is estimated to $7,000/choreographer.
ECS 2023 Important Dates:
Sep. 16: Application Process Opens
Sep. 26 & Oct. 9: Info Session & Application Q&A (optional)
Oct. 16: Application Deadline
Oct. 30: Finalists Interview with Selecting Panel
Jan. 8: Rehearsal begin
Feb. 27: Mid-Term Feedback Showing
Mar. 22, 23, & 24: Tech Days
Mar. 27: Dress Rehearsal
Mar. 28 & 29: Performances at LPAC
Apr. 1: Potential Performance and Q&A (to be confirmed at a later date)
Apr. 9: Celebration & ECS 2023 Wrap-Up
PLEASE NOTE: that ECS is an intensive program that requires choreographers to attend weekly meetings as well as mandatory orientations, feedback showings, tech & dress rehearsals and performances. Choreographers are expected to be available for ALL dates and prioritize ECS.
For more info, application process, mandatory dates, eligibility criteria, and FAQ session registration please visit:
For questions email us email@example.com