Mark DeGarmo Dance seeks Arts Administration Intern
Mark DeGarmo Dance
Mark DeGarmo Dance Arts Administration Internship
Mark DeGarmo Dance, a nonprofit organization deemed “a national model” by The National Endowment for the Arts, was founded in 1987 as Dynamic Forms, Inc. President Barack Obama commended
Dr. Mark DeGarmo and the organization for “your service to your communities and the nation.” Its mission includes: educate our communities, especially children; create, perform and disseminate original dances, artistic and scholarly work; and build intercultural community through dance arts.
MDD has produced over 100 dances and 30 international tours involving cultural diplomacy and exchange with 13 countries including Latin America, Europe and Russia. Our evidence-based education programs target NYC PreK-5th grade Title I public school students and communities of color without dance arts education. In 2019-2020, the organization served up to 3,500 students and classroom teachers in 5 public elementary schools in 3 NYC boroughs and reached approximately 2,200,000 individuals across all programs and outreach worldwide.
We seek MDD Arts Administration Interns to start immediately and throughout 2021. MDD Arts Administration Interns will work directly with the Operations, Marketing, and Archival Analyst and receive guidance from the Founder, Executive and Artistic Director Mark DeGarmo, Ph.D. This unpaid, volunteer internship offers an excellent opportunity to gain valuable real-life experience in nonprofit arts administration, operations, marketing, programming, and development with a leading New York City dance and dance education organization with a history of local, national, and international recognition, awards, and honors for its service, partnerships, and cultural diplomacy. The MDD Arts Administration Intern will support the organization’s daily administrative tasks, operations, and marketing and programming initiatives, as well researching, expanding, and updating outreach databases, and working on development-based expansion and fundraising projects.
- Organized with an acute attention to detail.
- Clear communication, professionalism, and punctuality.
- Superb written and verbal communicator with people skills.
- Resourceful problem solver.
- Ability to understand and follow directions.
- Ability to adapt focus with shifting schedules and priorities.
- Fast and enthusiastic learner with interest in outstanding achievement.
- Tech savvy with excellent computer skills including experience with MS Office suite (Access, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint), plus Google Drive, Dropbox, Zoom, and more. Ability/desire to learn new technologies as needed, quickly and enthusiastically.
- Experience using social media platforms to promote business activity and connections. Including but not limited to: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, Vimeo.
- Detail- and task-oriented and able to complete projects and assignments by given deadlines.
- Interest in and knowledge of arts administration, dance and movement practices, and arts education a plus.
- Fundraising experience and interest, a plus.
- Bilingual Spanish, written and spoken, including native fluency, a plus.
This is an up to 10-15-hour per week unpaid internship position with possibility for college or other credit that you would arrange with your institution. This is a growth position within a heralded “learning organization” with the possibility to qualify interns for possible recommendations from dancer, choreographer, writer, and researcher Dr. Mark DeGarmo for professional advancement opportunities.
Qualified candidates should email a professionally composed and proofread cover letter, résumé, and email and telephone contacts bulleting your relationship for 2 professional references from immediate work supervisors and a professor/teacher attesting that you have the requisite skills and qualifications; and 1 personal character reference attesting to your personal integrity, honesty, and attributes. Optional materials include: links to artistic performance and written work, as well as, media and press articles.
Email materials to: email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until available positions are filled.
MARK DEGARMO DANCE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, national origin, marital status, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, personal appearance, family responsibilities, political affiliation, or enrollment in a college, university, technical school, or adult education.
All inquiries are kept confidential.