Mobius issues Call for NYC-based Choreographers: Deadline February 15, 2017
Seeking New York City Based Choreographers to be Matched with Composers to create an up to 9 minute new experimental piece for concerts Monday June 5, 2017 at Judson Church and Saturday June 24, 2017 at Green Street Studios, Cambridge, MA, 02472
Mobius, an artists collective based in Boston, MA is presenting an evening-length program of new experimental works by eight pairs of choreographers/composers in June 2017.
The first concert will be at Judson Church on Monday evening, June 5, 2017.
The second concert will be at Green Street Studios in Cambridge, MA on Saturday evening, June 24, 2017.
For these two concerts, choreographers and composers working in pairs will collaborate
to develop new works which may be works in progress or finished, left to each pair's discretion.
Additionally, it is at the discretion of each pair to determine if the same performers or different performers will be used in each city and each pair is responsible for hiring their own performers.
The plan is for each concert to have the following basic format:
1. Concert - all pieces performed with about 1 minute or less between pieces and no intermissions at or under 80 minutes. Each piece will be no more than 9 minutes in length.
2. break (for about 10-15 minutes)
3. Q&A with audience and any composers/choreographers who are present
- Whatever we take at the door will be split evenly between all composers/choreographers.
- Each composer/choreographer will receive $25 towards travel etc
- Rental of both venues, cost of technical support, equipment, piano tuning, professional videographers for the two concerts, will be covered by Mobius.
- Each choreographer/composer pair will be responsible for paying for their own dancers, musicians and will need to make their own arrangements re: travel and places to stay.
Monday June 5, 2017 : Judson Church
- load in time from 9am on
- load out by 1am
- concert (including Q&A) will most likely be from 7-9pm
- for Judson, we (that is everyone willing and able) will be handling setup of the space/lighting and audio.
there is no Lighting Designer or Sound Technician
- the plan is to set up and rehearse and then perform with the simpliest lighting and audio setup possible
Saturday June 24, 2017 : Green Street Studios (black box theater)
- load in 3pm
- load out by 11pm
- concert will most likely start at 8pm
- Green St required that we hire a lighting designer: Matthew Cost.
- the plan is to setup up, probably block each piece for Matthew (and we will also
give him all the video footage from Judson ahead of time). give him time to light
and then try to quickly run each piece including any sound etc..
We currently have six matched pairs of choreographers/composers.
We also have two confirmed New York City based composers who we are seeking to pair
with two New York City based choreographers by February 15, 2017.
We are hoping all composers/choreographers will be able to be present at both
concerts but if that's not possible, clear instructions need to be provided for pieces
involved so they can be performed in both venues.
tbd: how much each pair can alter their piece from Judson to Green St. Most likely
the pieces should be as similar as possible within reason given change in venue and
possible change in performers for each piece.
Questions? Please email Jane Wang : firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are interested and available, please email: email@example.com
using the Subject line: Choreographer 2017: your_name
the following information by February 15, 2017. You will hear back by February 21st, 2017.
CV and/or Bio
Links to two video samples of your work (can be excerpts)
Website or other link (optional)
In addition please answer the following:
Describe how you like to work/your process.
Do you have any musical preferences or restrictions?
How often ideally would you like to meet with the composer ?
Do you have preference regarding how often you would like the composer to be present at rehearsals?
What is your ideal collaborative style of working, can you describe an ideal scenario?
What is your interest in collaborating with a composer?
Why are you interested in participating in these two concerts?