Moving Body–Moving Image: Aging & Othering
Barnard College Department of Dance / the Movement Lab / A Biennale Dance on Screen Festival
After its sold-out 2018 debut, the biennale MOVING BODY – MOVING IMAGE Festival, conceived and curated by the accomplished choreographer, dancer, teacher, and filmmaker Gabri Christa, returns to Barnard College. The festival, which focuses on social themes in screendance (also called dance film or dance for camera,) in 2020 takes on Aging & Othering.
The festival features two screenings of the films by artists from seven different countries, spanning a variety of topics and styles: from animation through dance film to documentaries. Among the highlights are: a lyrical Swedish short Forget Me Not, starring the acclaimed American choreographer and dancer Donald Byrd and beloved former ballerina Siv Ander; a gorgeously filmed and darkly humorous Scalamare, marked by unique imagination of its director, the award-winning choreographer Jiri Kylian; and a heartwarming documentary Alive & Kicking: The Soccer Grannies of South Africa, chronicling a sports team consisting of elderly women who play ball to heal trauma. Throughout the day, installations, performances, and Virtual Reality projects will be available for viewing. Among the special guests is the acclaimed dance writer and performer Deborah Jowitt who will participate in panel discussions with other illustrious dance and aging experts. She will also perform a short version of her solo dance Body (in) Print.
The event is free and open to the public but RSVP is required For the full schedule and to reserve tickets, visit movement.barnard.edu/moving-body-moving-image.
- Danse Macabre (animation; Hungary, 2018), directed and choreographed by Zsófia Csánki
- Edges (documentary; USA, 2016), directed by Katie Stjernholm
- Forget Me Not (dance film; Sweden, 2019), directed by Maud Karlsson
- Cheek to Cheek (documentary; The Netherlands, 2018), directed by Malou Cartwright
- They Honeys and Bears (documentary; USA, 2016), directed by Veena Rao
- Vanitas (dance film; Brazil, 2017), directed by Vinícius Cardoso, choreographed by Samuel Kavalerski
- Sound and Sole (documentary; USA, 2018), directed by Cara Hagan
- Scalamare (dance film; Italy/the Netherlands, 2017), directed and choreographed by Jiří Kilián
- Alive & Kicking: The Soccer Grannies of South Africa (documentary; South Africa/the Netherlands, 2016) directed by Lara-Ann de Wet
Discussions with filmmakers will follow the screenings. More titles to be added to both programs.
A closing reception at 5:30pm
2020 Film Selection Jury:
Abby Lee, Susanna Sloat, Karl-Mary Akre, Gabri Christa, Sheila Rohan
Gabri Christa, Festival Director & Curator
Abby Lee, Associate Producer & Co-Curator
Karl-Mary Akre, Associate Producer & Co-Curator
Allison Costa, Assistant Producer
Georgia Michalovic, Artist Relations
Guy deLancey, Programmer & Technologist, MovementLab
Diane Roe: Senior Administrator Department of Dance
Share Your Audience Review. Your Words Are Valuable to Dance.
Are you going to see this show, or have you seen it? Share "your" review here on The Dance Enthusiast. Your words are valuable. They help artists, educate audiences, and support the dance field in general. There is no need to be a professional critic. Just click through to our Audience Review Section and you will have the option to write free-form, or answer our helpful Enthusiast Review Questionnaire, or if you feel creative, even write a haiku review. So join the conversation.