Operations & Office Manager for Mark Morris Dance Group
Mark Morris Dance Group
Mark Morris Dance Group, 3 Lafayette Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11217
Operations & Office Manager
Application Deadline: Position open until filled
The Mark Morris Dance Group (MMDG), formed in 1980, develops, promotes, and sustains dance, music, and opera productions by Mark Morris, and serves as a cultural resource to engage and enrich the community. MMDG’s 20-member dance group tours domestically and internationally, with live music performed by its music ensemble since 1996.
The Mark Morris Dance Center is the home of the Mark Morris Dance Group, and offers a wide range of education and community programs to nearly 4,000 weekly visitors. Since 2001, the Dance Center, located in the heart of the Brooklyn Cultural District, has offered adult and children’s classes, space rentals, and a home for the dance community.
Reporting to the Director of Dance Center Operations, MMDG’s Operations & Office Manager is vital in supporting the MMDG staff and assisting with the rapidly growing programs at the Dance Center. This new position will play an integral role in the development of a newly formed Operations Department, working collaboratively with artistic, production, and administrative staff.
The ideal candidate:
- Enjoys jumping in to unexplored territory to address challenging problems and develop new and improved systems.
- Is an agile and creative problem solver.
- Invests their time in quality work.
- Gives others their respect and support.
The Operations & Office Manager is a 40-hour per week position. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Assist Director of Dance Center Operations in managing Studio Rental Program
- Serve as main contact for new and existing renters, booking space in MMDG’s seven fully-equipped dance studios.
- Update and share public rental availability (website, eblasts).
- Assist with daily and monthly reconciliation of booking software to payment software, troubleshooting errors and issues with bookings and payments.
- Oversee distribution of grant funded subsidized rehearsal space within our Subsidized Studio Rental Program, which offers 6,000-7,000 hours of affordable rehearsal space to more than 300 dancers and dance groups per year.
Serve as Work/Study Coordinator
- Assist Director of Dance Center Operations and Work/Study Manager in serving the vibrant Work/Study program with 30+ rotating weekly positions.
- Plan monthly Orientations.
- Maintain master schedule for Work/Study at the Front Desk and in the Store.
- Update and generate new materials (handbooks & training guides).
Serve as Office Manager
- Oversee office supply orders, inventory and budget
- Manage mail and telephones
- Communicate with vendors (Xerox, vending, etc)
- Analyze supply usage to determine cost savings
- Maintain organizational memberships
- Support Front Desk operations in working 1 half day per week at the Front Desk, the hub of the Center; welcoming visitors, directing phone calls, and assisting students
- Ensure safety of Dance Center visitors by serving as a Fire Guard
- Provide additional support to the Director of Dance Center Operations as needed.
- Passion for arts and interest in working for a non-profit organization
- Familiarity with an office environment
- Experience and interest in working with volunteers, artists, and the public
- Proficiency with MS Office, Google Drive, scheduling and POS software a plus
- Working knowledge or mail processes such as postage meters, USPS, FedEx, and UPS
- Strong and concise communication skills, both oral and written
- Well organized with great attention to detail
- Comfort working in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to act with diplomacy and patience under pressure
- Punctual, reliable and dedicated
- Willingness to complete Fire Guard Certification test and basic first aid/CPR training
- Two+ years of customer service and administrative experience required
- Available 5 days per week, including Saturdays.
Salary commensurate with experience.
Comprehensive benefits package includes: Employee Health and Life insurance covered 100%, Flexible Spending Plan, voluntary dental coverage and 403(b) retirement plan.
Access to the Wellness Center (MMDG’s private exercise facility), free dance classes and subsidized studio rental rates at the Dance Center.
Please provide the following as part of your application:
- Cover letter summarizing your relevant qualifications for this specific position (no generic statements).
- Complete resume, including salary history and salary requirement.
- Indicate Operations & Office Manager on the subject line of email.
- Applications in electronic format preferred, and accepted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Incomplete submissions will not be considered.
NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE.
Photo: Mark Morris Dance Group performing "Jenn and Spencer."