Advertise With Us
Make an impression — place an ad on The Dance Enthusiast and receive thousands of eyes on your work every week. Learn more.
50% OFF ALL ADS through December 31st. Use the promo code FALL50 at checkout HERE.
Your support helps us cover dance in New York City and beyond! Donate now.
SALONE! A evening of performance, Prosecco, food + conversation
Society of Fellows of the American Academy in Rome
A multi-media /live performance event showcasing the work of world renowned choreographers, artists, composers, actors and artisans who each have been awarded the prestigious Rome Prize from the American Academy in Rome. The premiere event will be held March 24, 2020 at Roulette in Brooklyn, New York.
Featured Performing Artists:
- [Molissa Fenley and Company] will dance the first variation of Cosmati Variations, a work in five variations created at the American Academy in Rome, 2008. Music by John Cage First Construction in Metal. Performed by Christiana Axelsen, Molissa Fenley and Timothy Ward.
- [Colin Gee] will perform John, an excerpt from a solo work entitled Frontier, which was developed at the American Academy in Rome in 2012. Music by Erin Gee
- [Erin Gee] will sing several solo vocal pieces from her Mouthpiece series: Mouthpiece-I, Yamaguchi Mouthpieces, and Akiguchi Mouthpiece.
- [John Kelly] will perform an excerpt from The Escape Artist. Based on an actual event, the work includes video sequences created while in residence at the Academy in 2006/07. Texts, lyrics, and video design by John Kelly; music by Carol Lipnik
- [Pat Oleszko] (on performance video) will present an excerpt from a peripatetic series of performances created during her fecund Prize year that became Roamin’ Holiday: A View from A Broad, a street work, stage show and film.
- [Basil Twist] will present a work with Stickman, his signature marionette. Created in 1991 at the Institute International de la Marionette in Charleville-Mezieres, Stickman is made out of basswood and manipulated from above by a Malaysian style control that has sixteen strings attached to his jointed limbs. Twist has been partnering with Stickman for over 25 years.
Video Installations by the following artists, designers + architects: Erin Besler, EV Day, Matthew Geller, Phu Hoang & Rachely Rotem, Johannes Knoops, Laurel McSherry, David Reinfurt, Bryony Roberts.
Doors Open 7pm
Refreshments + Cocktails + Video Installations 7pm--8pm
Refreshments + Cocktails + Video Installations 9pm--10pm
FREE FOOD + DRINK ALL EVENING
Giardino Level | American Academy in Rome [generous supporter!]
ABOUT THE SOCIETY OF FELLOWS:
The Society of Fellows is a century-year-old organization whose membership is comprised of those who have been awarded a Fellowship, Affiliated Fellowship, or Residency at the American Academy in Rome. Prize winners become members upon completing their residence at the Academy.
The mission of the Society of Fellows is to nurture and maintain the camaraderie and exchange of ideas amongst Fellows and Residents that made the Academy experience in Rome so extraordinary and unique. This aim is achieved by fostering a lifelong network that not only supports the mission of the American Academy in Rome but also seeks opportunities for individuals to create meaningful engagement,increased awareness, pride, participation, and volunteer involvement.
Share Your Audience Review. Your Words Are Valuable to Dance.
Are you going to see this show, or have you seen it? Share "your" review here on The Dance Enthusiast. Your words are valuable. They help artists, educate audiences, and support the dance field in general. There is no need to be a professional critic. Just click through to our Audience Review Section and you will have the option to write free-form, or answer our helpful Enthusiast Review Questionnaire, or if you feel creative, even write a haiku review. So join the conversation.