Sans Limites Dance 2019 MOVEMENT Application is Live
Sans Limites Dance
Sans Limites encourages choreographers, movement artists, performance artists, physical theater groups, and all movement-centered innovators to apply to 2019 MOVEMENT-- taking place from May 29th - June 2nd in the heart of Chelsea, NYC at Hudson Guild Theater. (Stage is 27’ 6” wide by 11’10” high. Stage depth is approximately 29’ at centerline w/96 seats)
WORKS WILL ACCEPTED UNDER 3 SEPARATE CURATORIAL THEMES:
(1) PANGAEA 2019
(2) SYZYGY 2019
(3) TWO ONE NIGHT STANDS in 2019
Theme 1: PANGAEA 2019
Named after the supercontinent that existed before separating into today’s 7 major land masses -- PANGAEA unites choreographers and companies that represent nationalities, ethnicities, and artforms from around the globe. Through the exchange between new audiences and performers of a wide variety of cultural expressions, PANGAEA will celebrate the rich diverse heritages of individuals and families of the NYC community and beyond.
Sans Limites will consider works that celebrate traditional dance forms, metamorphosize artforms through dance fusions, and explore themes of multiculturalism, immigration, and diasporic experiences. We will also consider movement works that focus on contemporary global culture and modern-day world events (not excluding events occuring in the United States) -- highlighting the current state of human existence and the collective unconscious.
Theme 2: SYZYGY 2019
Inspired by the natural phenomenon of 3 celestial objects aligning, SYZYGY will showcase movement-based artists that utilize 3 distinct artistic disciplines in both the creative and performance process of their work. Multidisciplinary artists, as well as collaborative groups of artists that marry their respective artforms together, will be considered in the application process.
Sans Limites will consider works that contribute to the continual metamorphosis of modern dance by re-inventing what mediums can come together to create a dance. Is it just the physical human body that can dance; can inanimate objects dance? In addition to the unimaginable, the following art disciples are suggested: performing arts, theater, literature/poetry, visual art, sculptures, live skechers, live painters, architecture, set design, costume design, filmwork/projection, make-up design, and music (both live and recorded).
Theme 3: TWO ONE NIGHT STANDS in 2019
Named after the shows of modern dance legend Ted Shawn, as well as the formal definition of a “one night stand”, this series will showcase an eclectic group of movement artists for a show-run that will last only one night.
Sans Limites will consider movement-based groups and solo artist that are preserving the choreographers of the early modern dance movement, as well as artists that are translating the choreography of the past into the present moment through bold choices and innovative design.
ACCEPTED ARTISTS WILL GET EVERYTHING BELOW FREE OF COST + % OF TICKET SALES:
- 1 Formal Performance at the Hudson Guild Theater between Wednesday, May 29th and Sunday, June 2nd + video of your work.
- 1 Comp Ticket (paid via your application fee; see more details below)
- 1 Technical Rehearsal (hosted by Sans Limites Resident Light Designer, Michael Lounsbery)
- 2 Informal Dance Performances (opportunity to present 2MIN of excerpted material)
- 1 Admission to Ticket Launch Party
- Marketing, Advertising and Promotion from February 2018 - May 2018.
*artists will receive 25% of the tickets they pre-sell ONLINE; if the artists sells 25+ tickets, they will receive 50% of the tickets they pre-sell ONLINE. (at-door tickets will not be considered).*
APPLICATION FEE (please read carefully) --
- If your work was produced in any Sans Limites production in the past 6 years, your 1st submission is FREE OF CHARGE + you must pay $5 application fee for every additional submission. There is a 2 submissions limit per curatorial theme; 6 submissions all together.
- If you HAVE NOT performed in any Sans Limites production in the past 6 years, you must pay a $25 application for your first submission + $5 for every additional. There is a 2 submissions limit per curatorial theme; 6 submissions all together.
APPLICATION FEE CAN BE PAID via
VENMO at @SansLimitesDance
PayPal at info@SansLimitesDance.com
APPLICATION DEADLINE is DECEMBER 15th, 2018