Various Internship Positions at Gallim Dance this Fall/Winter
Internships at Gallim Dance offer students the unique opportunity to be involved in a dynamic, world-renowned arts organization that has seen double-digit budgetary growth over the past 5 years. The internship focuses on projects and responsibilities that deepen professional skills and introduce interns to the dance world in NYC and internationally.
Interns function as integral members of the administrative team and work out of Gallim’s office and rehearsal space in Brooklyn’s Clinton Hill neighborhood. They are charged with upholding the organization's work standards, ethics and policies. Internships with Gallim Dance are typically a 3-month commitment of 15 hours per week, with extensions welcome. Internships are initially unpaid with the potential to expand into a paid position at their culmination.
As a Gallim Dance Intern, you will:
• Receive invaluable training towards your professional career in arts administration at a world-class dance company, at a particularly critical time of tremendous growth and strategic opportunity;
• Join our high-performing administrative team, including a Stanford MBA and Columbia graduate, and a staff with over 20 years of combined experience;
• Receive on-the-job training and experience working with professional staff in arts administration, by working on projects that are designed to increase applicable skills, contacts, and future job prospects;
• Gain a firsthand understanding of the operations of a small, stable and growing arts organization with entrepreneurial energy and up-and-coming collective of artists and staff
• Training and mentoring
• Discounted performances and dance classes (when available)
• University credit, work-study, independent study, and/or cooperative learning programs
We are currently offering internships in five different areas of administration. While we encourage candidates to choose a preferred field in which they’d like to gain experience, we offer a flexible environment and look forward to collaboration and intersection across roles.
Areas of Concentration:
• Executive Administration
• Production and Touring
• Outreach and Education
Executive Administration Internship
The Executive Administration Intern will work closely with the Company Manager and Executive Director to provide crucial support to the administrative maintenance of Gallim Dance. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Strategic planning support
• Coordination of meetings and administrative schedules
• Contract review; project and general budgets
• Drafting, organizing, filing, proofreading and updating written materials and correspondence
• Completion of Project SOP details and alerts
• Progress Tracking of all SOP tasks
• Providing support for all other day-to-day operations, errands, and office maintenance
• Oversight and assistance to all other internship areas
Candidates should have strong administrative experience and organizational skills, strong attention to detail and deadlines, and excellent writing and speaking ability. Candidates must be proficient using all Microsoft applications, internet-based research and Google apps. Knowledge of HTML and WordPress editing interface are preferred.
The Development intern will work directly with all Gallim staff members to provide crucial assistance in the cultivation of individual donor, foundation, and government support through outreach, grant-seeking, and special events. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Maintenance of Gallim’s grant calendar and database
• Organization of electronic files of development documents and records
• Drafting grant summaries
• Identification of prospective donors
• Support of individual and corporate fundraising campaigns
• Special events support
Candidates should have strong organizational skills, attention to detail and deadlines, and excellent writing and speaking ability. Experience with Foundation Directory Online a plus.
Marketing & Media Internship
The Marketing & Media Intern, working alongside the Audience Development Manager and graphic designer, will be responsible for bolstering the company’s online presence and visual brand through the creation of media campaigns and:
• Leveraging Gallim’s Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, blog, and other relevant platforms to build the company’s audience and donor base
• Maintenance of Gallim’s video and photo libraries — organization, labeling, and archiving
• Videography and photography during rehearsals and events as needed
• Pre-event press kit preparation; post-event collection of photography, video and press reviews from venues after each event
• Updates and maintenance of Gallim’s website, publicity and press databases
Candidates must be proficient with the Adobe platform, (Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.), Microsoft applications, and Google apps. Skills should include strong organization, attention to details and deadlines, and excellent writing and speaking ability. Knowledge of HTML and WordPress editing interface are preferred. Candidates must submit a work sample along with their application demonstrating their experience with graphic/web design, video or photo editing, or other related skill.
Production and Rehearsal Internship
The Production and Rehearsal Intern will work directly with the Company Manager on tasks encompassing all details of performances, rehearsals, workshops, auditions and touring. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Developing thorough travel itineraries in preparation for company tours and residencies
• Logging rehearsal hours and supporting Scheduling; Securing rehearsal space and/or cancellations as needed
• Attending rehearsals and taking notes for Andrea Miller, Artistic Director
• Assisting the Stage Manager and Lighting Director in production
• Wardrobe preparation, cleaning, and organization
• Attending production and pre-tour meetings
• Maintenance of pre- and post- performance check lists
Candidates must have excellent organizational skills, strong attention to detail and deadlines, and excellent interpersonal ability. Candidates must be proficient using all Microsoft applications, internet-based research and Google apps. Previous production experience is a plus, but not required.
Community Outreach Internship
The Community Outreach Intern will work directly with the Company Manager and Audience Development Manager to coordinate teaching, outreach, and company residencies. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Administrative support of Gallim’s morning classes, workshops and intensives: promotion, sign-in, email capture, etc.
• Administrative support of Gallim Company auditions or casting: scheduling, promotion, sign-in, followup
• Supervision of the proper use and condition of all premises at St. Luke’s space after all events
• Resident Artist support and scheduling
• Maintenance of University and K-12 school database for potential engagement
• Updates to Gallim’s educational promotion package with new content & calendar
• Working with the Production Intern to prepare for Gallim’s educational residencies
Candidates must have excellent organizational skills, strong attention to detail and deadlines, and excellent interpersonal ability. Candidates must be proficient using all Microsoft applications, internet-based research and Google apps.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Please note in your application a proposed start date and projected end date. Send the completed form, along with a cover letter, resumé, and 1-page writing sample, to Megan Wright at firstname.lastname@example.org. Marketing & Media applicants must include an additional work sample that indicates their proficiency in graphic and web design and/or photo and video editing.
Criteria for acceptance are the same for everyone without regard to race, color, gender, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, or veteran status. We appreciate your interest and look forward to receiving your materials.
For which position are you applying?:
- Executive Administration
- Marketing and Media
- Production and Rehearsal
- Community Outreach
Please provide the following information:
List highest degree/certification:
Where did you hear about the Gallim Dance Internship?:
Recommended by (if applicable):
Proposed start date - projected end date: __/__/__ - __/__/__
Thank you for your application!