newMoves Contemporary Dance Festival - Call for Proposals
Kelly Strayhorn Theater
Kelly Strayhorn Theater is currently accepting applications for our four-day festival featuring performances by emerging and mid-career choreographers, artist talks, master classes and symposium. Now in its eighth year, this competition recognizes both rising talent and established artists alike.
newMoves Contemporary Dance Festival plays a vital role in Pittsburgh’s dance scene by fostering new works and encouraging artists to take creative risks and push boundaries. Launched in 2009, newMoves Contemporary Dance Festival is a platform for contemporary dancers and choreographers to share the stage with local, national, and international choreographers.
The festival offers an opportunity for choreographers to showcase new works, provides valuable exposure, and a rich peer network. Past festival artists have included: Sidra Bell (NYC), Kyle Abraham (NYC), Marjani Forte (NYC), Staycee Pearl (PGH), Murphy/Smith Dance Collective (PGH) and many more.
Projects are selected through a proposal process, with an emphasis on new projects in development and/or early career artists. The most competitive proposals will be for original works that have not yet had been presented in Pittsburgh. The applications and work samples will be evaluated based on following:
- Vitality of the proposed project and its ideas;
- Quality and integrity of the work of the artist, ensemble and collaborators;
- Appropriateness of the project to a festival format and KST venues;
- Artist’s and/or team's ability to successfully realize the proposed project.
Selected artists/ artist collaboratives will receive: rehearsal space the week of the festival (schedule to be determined), artist stipend, and technical assistance.
Application & Submission
- Contact information, including full name, mailing address, telephone number and email
- Artist statement and Collaborator Bios or CV
- One-page proposal outlining and describing the piece you would like to showcase including a development timeline, time length of the piece, materials list, number of dancers, etc.
- Links to no more than three five-minute work samples of original works
- Work sample description sheet, including viewing cue times, creation date, collaborators, and additional information relevant to your proposed work;
- OPTIONAL: Up to three pages of supplementary materials, including design sketches, press, etc.
Application Deadline: Janurary 5, 2016
Please submit completed applications by mail or email:
Kelly Strayhorn Theater
5530 Penn Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15206
Note: incomplete applications will not be considered