"For truth to tell, dancing in all its forms cannot be excluded from the curriculum of all noble education: dancing with the feet, with ideas, with words, and, need I add that one must also be able to dance with pen- that one must learn how to write." Friedrich Nietzsche
Global Water Dances
Pity the weather man who must predict the unpredictable and rejoice with all the dancers who celebrated Global Water Dances on a gloriously sunny, humidity free day - June 24, 2017 in 106 sites in six continents.
Meeting on the pier in front of The Waterfront Museum in Red Hook, Brooklyn, we heard from David Sharps, the founder of the museum, Greta Zarro from Food & Water Watch, Natasha Alhadeff Jones, organizer for GWD NYC, watched several solos, duos, and danced with a multi-generational, multi-ethnic group a choreography simultaneously performed across the globe.
The following NYC sites also participated in Global Water Dances 2017:
- NYC | Brooklyn Gowanus Canal @ Promenade Whole Foods, 3rd Street between 3rd Avenue and Bond Street, Site Leader: Lynn Neuman of Artichoke Dance Company
- NYC | Brooklyn, Prospect Park Lake, Elena Sans Lopez & Davalois Fearon of Davalois Fearon Dance
- NYC | Brooklyn (Red Hook), Water Front Museum, 290 Conover Street, Site Leaders: Deirdre Towers & Natasha Alhadeff-Jones of BIGBANGDANCE
- NYC | Manhattan (Battery Park), Hudson River - Wagner Park, 20 Battery Place, just north of Battery Park, Site Leader: Marilyn Green of Trinity Movement Choir
- NYC | Manhattan (Clinton), Hudson River Park - Clinton Cove (Pier 95), West 55th Street, Margaret Elaine Plaza, Co-Director of Omega Dance Company
- Staten Island; Water Site: Silver Lake @ Silver Lake Park, Silver Lake Concert Area near Forest Avenue; Site Leader: cre-a-tion dance collective
Get involved! See http://globalwaterdances.org/